Skriv svar

French deceased grandfather's criminal record?

vhermann1
female
Släktträd: Icke-grafisk
Visa deras familjeträd.
My French grandfather died in Paris in 1957, age 46. From all accounts he was a bit of a ne'er do well, to put it mildly, which may have accounted for his early death. He was estranged from the family. Family stories discuss his brushes with the law and I was wondering how I might be able to research this part of his past?

In addition, he died in the 8th arrondissement and the person reporting his death denied knowledge of his parents names, birth p etc. There was no mention in the margin notes of his birth of his death. Apparently the two were never correlated though they had the correct date of birth on his death certificate they had the wrong arrondissement. I gather he was brought to a hospital located on 47 rue de l'Hopital. Where might he have been buried?.

Thank you for any insight and assistance.

kallikrates
kallikrates
Släktträd: Grafisk
Visa deras familjeträd.
Hi,

One way to get a list of his condemnations and brushes with the law would be to get his "fiche matricule", his army records. If he was born in Paris, he most likely was enroled in the Seine. The Seine military records are on the Paris Archives website, but only up to the 1921 class, ie people born no later than 1901.

You can look him up in the alphabetic tables here : http://archives.paris.fr/s/13/tables-des-etats-signaletiques-et-des-services-militaires/?

"Année de recrutement" is birth year + 20, the Bureau depends on where he lived at age 20, and try the "Liste principale" first.

Once armed with his recruitment number, email the Paris archives and ask if they will send you his fiche matricule. They may ask for a proof that he was your grandfather.

For his burial place, the cemetery registers are available on the Paris archives website. Given that you have his exact date of death, you shouldn't have any difficulties finding him.

Best,
K

vhermann1
female
Släktträd: Icke-grafisk
Visa deras familjeträd.
Hello!

Thank you so very much for this information. In my excitement, I failed to notice your caveat that the list of recruitment numbers was for only people in the class of 1921. Luckily I tried 1931 as it is apparently online now as well and found him and his twin brother.

With kind regards,
Vela

Skriv svar

Återgå till "Family History Searches"