Skriv svar

New to French records - searching Le Lay, Brittany

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
colombes1983
female
Släktträd: Grafisk
Sökning: Grafik
Visa deras familjeträd.
Hi, I'm new to searching French records and find it quite frustrating so far as it sometimes feels like I get no results yet I know the people existed.

I'm currently looking for anything about Marie Elisabeth(e) Le Lay born approx 1881 and she later married Joseph Marie Rouzic.

I always get other name matches or partial name matches, but not Marie Elisabeth Le Lay - I think she was born in St Connan in Brittany - the Cotes D'Armor - is anyone able to point me in the right direction to where results might come up? I've tried under 'search the database' and 'genealogy library' but no joy. Anything tips on what I could be doing different / anywhere else I should be searching?
kallikrates
kallikrates
Sökning: Text
Visa deras familjeträd.
Hi,

Given that you have a place name and an approximate date, the best way is to go directly to the source. Google "archives" and the name of the département, here "Côtes d'Armor".

Most archive websites don't need an account, but this one does:
http://sallevirtuelle.cotesdarmor.fr/EC/ecx/connexion.aspx

Create a free account. Look for the right city, here "Saint-Connan" and choose "Registres d'état-civil", which are civil records from after the Révolution. In the results page, there's a column "Acte". N is for Naissance/Birth, M is for Mariage/Marriage, D is for Décès/Death, and TD is for Table décennales/10-year index. Click on the TD that contains 1881.

For historical reasons, 10-year indices go from years in 3 to years in 2, so the one we need goes from 1873 to 1882. Inside, you have three parts, for births, marriages, and deaths, organised alphabetically. You can find a Marie Elisabeth LE LAY on page 113. The date given is 6 May 1881. Normally it isn't the date of birth, but the date of the birth record. The birth register for 1881 seems to be missing, but it's only because the dates aren't right on the result pages.

Click on the birth register that says it starts in 1886 and go to page 9. Here you go :
Marie Elisabeth LE LAY was born on May 5, 1881 at 10pm to Guillaume Louis LE LAY, 31, farmer, and Marie Jeanne LE CHAMPION, 22, homemaker, both living in Saint-Connan. She died in Saint-Ouen-l'Aumone on December 22, 1969. No mention is made of her mariage to Joseph Marie ROUZIC, so this might not be the right person: you'll need to find the marriage record to be sure.

Best,
K
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hello,
kallikrates skrev: 14 mars 2021, 19:47 Most archive websites don't need an account, but this one does:
No, it's only necessary for a few functions.

There are a few more very useful tools for this département:

http://www.genealogie22.com/salvindex.pl which allows you to go directly to the first page for any year in the registers.

https://genearmor.cotesdarmor.fr/recherche : to help you find the dates and places.

Do you read French?

Best,
Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
colombes1983
female
Sökning: Grafik
Visa deras familjeträd.
Thank you both, I've now been having great fun on GeneArmor which has helped tremendously. What the best sites for more recent records, those only went up to 1906 and it would be great to follow up on some cousin matches I've had on ancestry etc...
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Family History Searches"