Skriv svar

The Filles du Roy collaborative family tree

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
seandaly
seandaly
Släktträd: Grafisk
Sökning: Grafik
Visa deras familjeträd.
Dear genealogists,

A new collaborative family tree has been created! It's dedicated to the Filles du Roy (King's Daughters) who arrived in Québec in the mid-17th century, young women sent to New France by King Louis XIV to correct a steep gender imbalance; they are the ancestors of millions of Canadians and Americans.

There were approximately 800 Filles du Roy and our goal is to reconstitute their genealogy.
This discussion thread is meant for family tree editors to discuss hints, advice, remarks... but naturally, anyone can participate here.

If you would like "Admin" access rights to add to or edit the tree, it's essential to read the data entry instructions!
(click on the link at the end of this message.)

When you have understood the data entry procedures and you are ready to work independently, use this link to ask for "Admin" access (please do not ask in this thread or elsewhere on the forum, such requests may not be processed quickly):
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8dtwcEhfxKChJz2LBvvGZQ_juhCCxwQe9k-vk_ajb08HlZA/viewform

> The family tree:
https://gw.geneanet.org/fillesduroy_w?lang=en

Best of luck in your genealogy research, and thanks again for your participation!!
Senast redigerad av 1 seandaly, redigerad totalt 11 gånger.
Sean D.
--------------------------
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ
Read the Genealogy Blog
Stay up-to-date with news about the site: newsletter
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Sökning: Text
Visa deras familjeträd.
Thank you Sean.

Can you also post this in the French forum for Canada?
https://www.geneanet.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=66

Eric
seandaly
seandaly
Visa deras familjeträd.
ericdubois skrev: 06 maj 2021, 17:41 Thank you Sean.

Eric
Hi Eric, I will ask Jérôme B. to post his version in French there, thanks!
Sean D.
Read the Genealogy Blog
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Visa deras familjeträd.
Note that the Google form is not accessible:
You need permission
This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organization.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.
jejebellon
male
Thank you Eric !
The problem has been fixed ;)
jejebellon
male
ericdubois skrev: 06 maj 2021, 17:41 Thank you Sean.

Eric
Done :)
Here : https://www.geneanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=724974
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Visa deras familjeträd.
Thanks/merci.

I may join in as I have information not currently in the tree. Only drawback it I was not thorough at documenting sources and will have to double-check some information before spreading potential errors. :D

Eric
seandaly
seandaly
Visa deras familjeträd.
ericdubois skrev: 06 maj 2021, 21:19 Thanks/merci.

I may join in as I have information not currently in the tree. Only drawback it I was not thorough at documenting sources and will have to double-check some information before spreading potential errors. :D

Eric
Eric, it will be great if you can! And even if you can't, we are listening to comments and suggestions.
Sean D.
Read the Genealogy Blog
chuckfilteau
male
Visa deras familjeträd.
My ancestor, Gillette Savard, a fille du Roi, who married Pierre Filteau in 1666 is already in 300+ trees on MyHeritage.com

I personally, over the last 30 years, have documented and linked together 18,000+ of their descendants along with 90,000+ in-laws.

I refuse to upload all of them onto Geneanet or any other genealogy site.

However, if anyone is truly curious about your/her Filteau, Felteau, Feltault, Fecteau, Fecto, Facteau, Feuilteau, etc. family cousins and ancestors, I invite you to visit my website: www.OurFamilyLinks.org.

Here is a direct link to their first 5 generations (total of 885 people):
https://www.ourfamilylinks.org/descendtextplus.php?personID=I571&tree=Filteau&display=block&generations=5
seandaly
seandaly
Visa deras familjeträd.
chuckfilteau skrev: 09 maj 2021, 03:55 My ancestor, Gillette Savard, a fille du Roi, who married Pierre Filteau in 1666 is already in 300+ trees on MyHeritage.com

I personally, over the last 30 years, have documented and linked together 18,000+ of their descendants along with 90,000+ in-laws.

I refuse to upload all of them onto Geneanet or any other genealogy site.

However, if anyone is truly curious about your/her Filteau, Felteau, Feltault, Fecteau, Fecto, Facteau, Feuilteau, etc. family cousins and ancestors, I invite you to visit my website: www.OurFamilyLinks.org.

Here is a direct link to their first 5 generations (total of 885 people):
https://www.ourfamilylinks.org/descendtextplus.php?personID=I571&tree=Filteau&display=block&generations=5
Wow Chuck, your site is impressive!

Sean
Sean D.
Read the Genealogy Blog
voyageur1787
female
Visa deras familjeträd.
I am sure this is the most elementary of questions, but is there a video that can walk me through adding a new individual? I was planning to add Marie-Charlotte Roussel, the wife of Pierre Gauthier dit Saguingoira, but I find myself unsure if I should add her father and mother or M. Charlotte herself. And please explain the number and how I can either find or create it.
Thank you.
jeffyl99
male
Visa deras familjeträd.
Hi Sean,

Thanks for allowing me Admin access to the Filles tree. As I get started to help with the project, I noticed a list of duplicate persons, so I merged and resolved them. I then looked at the place name list. That is a mess with many duplicates and misspellings. The data entry instructions clearly state to only choose the place from the list, but clearly some of us helpers are entering our own information. I am unclear as to how we should resolve this issue. I am happy to help clean up the list with some instructions on your naming standards.

Jeffery
seandaly
seandaly
Visa deras familjeträd.
jeffyl99 skrev: 25 juli 2023, 16:55 Hi Sean,

Thanks for allowing me Admin access to the Filles tree. As I get started to help with the project, I noticed a list of duplicate persons, so I merged and resolved them. I then looked at the place name list. That is a mess with many duplicates and misspellings. The data entry instructions clearly state to only choose the place from the list, but clearly some of us helpers are entering our own information. I am unclear as to how we should resolve this issue. I am happy to help clean up the list with some instructions on your naming standards.

Jeffery
Hi Jeffery,

Many thanks for mentioning this. Place names are theoretically standardized in our database, but we tend to be better at those in continental Europe than in Canada. It would be helpful if you could list a couple of examples here, either links to the tree or just one or two places with names spelled differently will be helpful. Thanks!

Sean
Sean D.
Read the Genealogy Blog
kola626
female
Visa deras familjeträd.
I am descended from Etiennette Lore or Loret who married Jean Baptiste Bau, whose son Mathurin changed the name Bau to LeBeau, sometimes referred to a Lalouette. She is not listed in your tree, but she is in Volume 2 of King's Daughters and Founding Mothers: The Filles du Roi, 1663--1673 pp 389-390, and Les Filles du Roi en Nouvelle-France by Silvio Dumas p 289.

Patricia LeBeau
jeffyl99
male
Visa deras familjeträd.
seandaly skrev: 26 juli 2023, 17:59
jeffyl99 skrev: 25 juli 2023, 16:55 Hi Sean,

Jeffery
Hi Jeffery,

Many thanks for mentioning this. Place names are theoretically standardized in our database, but we tend to be better at those in continental Europe than in Canada. It would be helpful if you could list a couple of examples here, either links to the tree or just one or two places with names spelled differently will be helpful. Thanks!

Sean
Hi Sean,

Here are some issues I have seen, but I have not reviewed the entire place name list:

Massachusset
Saint-Laurent IO [instead of Saint-Laurent, IO]
Vermillon Parish, Louisiane [includes US state in place name]
Saint-Pierre, IO. [includes a period after IO]
Lake Tahoe, Ca [includes US state in place name]
Goffstow, Hillsborou, Nh [includes US state in place name]
Pensylvanie [Pennsylvania]
Notre-Dame [this may be a parish, town, or other, but no other info is given]
Pérou [this may be a parish, town, or other, but no other info is given]
Gaudelay-en-Bry, 77000 [includes postal code in place name]
Californier [Calfornia]

It seems that since this project is still pretty young we should make some corrections before the issue becomes exponentially larger. However, if there is no appetite for tackling place name discrepancies, then we just need to know and accept that decision. Also, the discrepancies list has a lot of flagged profiles with the events listed out of order. Is that something you want corrected or leave it as is? Thanks. Just trying to get a footing on the data entry process and preventing mistakes.

Jeffery
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Family History Searches"