MEINECKE from Hannover / SEEKAMP from Bremen

gbuttery
female
I wonder anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction to find information, regarding my great, great grandparents, LOUIS & BETA MEINECKE They were born in Germany, but are to be found in British records starting with the 1871 census. They settled in Hull, Yorkshire. According to the census, Louis was born in Hannover in 1831 and Beta in Bremen in 1831. I am looking for any information from before they came to England and not having very much luck.
I keep returning to check sites to see if anything else turns up and recently found record of their daughter’s birth on ‘Deutschland Geburton und Taufen, 1558-1898’ (I have the information regarding their daughter from British records, ; ie census records, marriage records, death certificate, but no German records).
Information given said JOHANNE LOUISE GESINE MEINECKE was born 23 May 1852, in Bremen. Father was AUGUST LUDWIG THEODOR MEINECKE aged 22 and mother was BETA SEEKAMP age 21. Two new pieces of information!! – 1. Louis’ full name (I assume it was anglicized when he came to England) 2. Beta’s maiden name. However, I have been unable to find out any information from their time in Germany – no birth records, no marriage records, no information regarding parents, no passenger lists with their names.
Any suggestion as to where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Some other information I have. I don’t like to ASSUME when it comes to family research, but this information all seems to fit so well, even without the documented proof, that I have tentatively included it in my tree.
From the 1871 Census, in Hull – William Gissler, 28, sailor from Bremen, Germany. Louis Gissler, brother, 10 from Bremen, Germany. Johanna Meinecke, grandmother, 82, Benkendein, Germany.
I believe their mother was FREIDERIKE GIESLER, nee MEINECKE, sister to my AUGUST, daughter to the Johanna above. Freiderike was married to BALTHSAR GIESLER who, together with his children emigrated to New Zealand. There are quite a few records that can be found about the family in NZ. Freiderike’s death certificate says her husband was a bird dealer, and so was her brother, August, as reported in local papers for many decades.

Återgå till "Germany"